Flood Advice & Works on Waterways

Flood Advice For Your Property

Flooding can affect your development plans. Corangamite CMA has floodplain management responsibilities for the region under Part 10 (sections 201 to 212) of the Water Act 1989.

One of the CMA’s main functions is to provide advice and recommend building controls on proposed development for councils in the Corangamite region. The CMA assesses flood risk associated with depth and velocities of the modelled 1% AEP (Annual Exceedance Probability) flood level, and applies best-practice flood management methods to apply controls that will reduce flood damages and risk to life.

Please note we do not provide advice over the phone. 

Corangamite Flood Portal

Corangamite Flood Portal has flood related information for your property and the region including:

  • Flood Mapping – search for your property and print a report
  • Flood Advice
  • Works on Waterways
  • Floodplain Management
  • Corangamite Regional Floodplain Strategy
  • Emergency Flood Information
  • Resources
  • FAQs and Glossary

Works on Waterways

The Corangamite Catchment Management Authority is responsible for the control, management and authorisation of works and activities in or over designated waterways in the CMA’s waterway management district.

The CMA authorises works on designated waterways via an authority permit in accordance with the CMA’s by-law No.4, Waterways Protection.

Works that require approval from the CMA include, but is not limited to:

  • waterway crossings – bridges, fords, culverts and repairs to existing crossings
  • stabilisation – erosion management
  • vegetation – vegetation removal including removal of weed species and clearing of fallen timber
  • works – stormwater outlets and pipeline crossings
  • other structures – jetty, boat launching ramp and fishing platform
  • extractions – sand, rock or other material
  • waterway clearing – in-stream vegetation, silt and sediment build up

Visit the Corangamite Flood Portal for more information about Works on Waterways.

If you are unsure if what you want to do requires a permit from the CMA, please email us.