Development Advice/Permits

One of the CMA’s main functions is providing advice and recommending building controls on proposed development for councils in the Corangamite region. The CMA assesses flood risk associated with depth and velocities of the modelled 1 % AEP flood and applies the best-practice flood management methods to apply controls that will reduce flood damages and risk to life.

Where flood extents are known, local councils are accountable for ensuring that their Planning Schemes correctly identify the areas of risk of a 1% AEP flood. Not all flood mapping has been identified in Council’s Planning Schemes, so it is important to check with the CMA and Council for any available mapping.

You can generate a planning property report free of charge for any property in Victoria which will tell you if your property has a flooding overlay.

Information about zones and overlays is also available through the relevant Planning Scheme via Planning Schemes Online or by contacting your local council.

Works on Waterways

The Corangamite Catchment Management Authority is responsible for the control, management and authorization of works and activities in or over designated waterways in the CMA’s waterway management district.

The CMA authorizes works on designated waterways via an authority permit in accordance with the CMA’s by-law number four, Waterways Protection.

The types of works that require approval from the CMA includes, but is not limited to:

  • Waterway crossings – bridges, fords, culverts and repairs to existing crossings
  • Stabilisation – erosion management
  • Vegetation – vegetation removal including removal of weed species and clearing of fallen timber
  • Works – stormwater outlets and pipeline crossings
  • Other structures – jetty, boat launching ramp and fishing platform
  • Extractions – sand, rock or other material
  • Waterway clearing – in stream vegetation, silt and sediment build up.

Some works including construction of public utilities such as sewers/water mains, gas pipelines and public access structures do not require a works on waterways permit but authorisation for these works is still required.

People who intend to undertake works exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit must notify the CMA of the works, and undertake the works in accordance with Corangamite CMA guidelines. Work must not commence until the CMA has provided written approval.

If you are unsure if what you want to do requires a permit from the CMA please send an email to

Waterway Mapping

To find out if a waterway is designated please contact the Corangamite CMA Floodplain Statutory team on

Floodplain Properties

Are you building, renovating or looking to buy a property?

Potential flooding can impact your development plans and cost you time and money. Did you know that you can get our free advice?

As well as providing you with free flood level information, we can review your plans and provide advice on potential amendments you may need to make in order to obtain a permit from council.

Fill out the Flood Advice form below to make an enquiry about your property.

A Floodplain Officer will then assess your flood advice request and provide you with a report within the next 28 days. The advice is based on best-practice flood management that aims to reduce flood damages and risk to life.

Please note the Corangamite CMA do not provide advice over the phone.

Waterway Mapping

To find out if a waterway is designated please contact the Corangamite CMA Floodplain Statutory team on 5232 9100 or


For further information please contact the Corangamite CMA Floodplain Statutory Team on

Statutory Responsibility

Corangamite CMA is responsible for a range of statutory functions under the following state government acts, relating to floodplain management:

Under Part 10 (sections 201 to 212) of the Water Act 1989, Corangamite CMA has floodplain management responsibilities for its declared CMA region.

For further detail and resources, visit the Corangamite Flood Portal here.

Contact Us

Colac Office

64 Dennis Street, Colac VIC 3250
PO Box 159, Colac, VIC 3250
Hours: 8:30am – 5pm, Monday to Friday

T: 1800 002 262

Geelong office

Hours: 8:30am – 5pm, Monday to Friday
All mail must be sent via our Colac office
PO Box 159, Colac, VIC 3250

T: 1800 002 262