Bellarine and Great Ocean Road Dunecare Project
The Initiative is to focus on conserving coastal sand dune native flora and fauna habitat at risk of Erosion.
Project information Summary
This will include areas managed by organisations including Bellarine Bayside Coastal Management, Borough of Queenscliffe Council, Barwon Coast Committee of Management, City of Greater Geelong, Surf Coast Shire, Parks Victoria, Barwon Water, the Great Ocean Road Coastal Committee, and Otway Coast Committee of Management.
The Initiative will deliver two key sub-projects:
- An onground works program- This will be guided by a strategic Initiative Investment Plan, that strategically prioritises coastal dune protection sites and required actions, to protect and remediate fragile coastal dune systems that support native flora and fauna habitat.
- A Dunecare schools program- This will target Year 9 and 10 students in Geelong, the Bellarine Peninsula and Surf Coast and is designed to build student and local community stewardship for local dune conservation and protection.
The type of on ground actions to be funded through the Initiative may include:
– Prevention of dune erosion or further dune erosion facilitated by human access, through walking track improvement/rehabilitation, access management, improved protective fencing, and associated signage;
– Restoration of dune ‘blowouts’ in primary and secondary dune systems through methods including brush matting and revegetation;
– Protection and restoration of high ecological value dune woodlands; and
– Protection of significant Aboriginal middens within prioritised project areas through actions including protective fencing, and associated signage.
The Initiative will aim to provide opportunities for the involvement, engagement, training and employment of Wadawurrung Traditional Owners.
Key contacts for more information
- Senior Project Manager – Saul Vermeeren Ph: 0405 030 442 Email: Saul.Vermeeren@ccma.vic.gov.au
- Project Officer– Anthony Byrne Ph: 0407 885 143 Email: Anthony.Byrne@ccma.vic.gov.au
This project received funding from the Australian Government.
This project will run until 2023.